Kasturba Health Society’s
Centre of Alternative Medicine
Unique Wellness Centre in Central India
For Rejuvenation & Promotion of Positive Health
Sevagram was the “defacto capital of India” during freedom struggle and is hallowed by the “Father of Nation, Mahatma Gandhi. As one of the objectives of the Kasturba Health Society for exploring Naturopathy, Yoga and Meditation in Health Care, Kasturba Health Society under dynamic leadership of Shri Dhiru S. Mehta. President, Kasturba Health Society has allocated 24 cottages, constructed with the financial support of Smt. Aparna Ben Trivede, for Kasturba Nisrgopchar Kendra along with the adjoining 220 acres of Herbal Garden. Sevagram in Wardha District (Maharashtra) is well connected to all corners of India by Railway and Air.
Arogyadham is an Integrative Health Care & Research project of Kasturba Health Society on Medical campus for promotion of positive health in addition to taking care of preventive and curative aspects of health care in Lifestyle disorders and chronic ailments such as hypertension, back pain, bronchial asthma, diabetes etc. with Naturopathy and Yoga therapy and having Nature park to live in harmony with Nature. Arogyadham is presently having Kasturba Nisargopchar Kendra equipped with Nature cure facilities with specialization in Holistic life style Management, Acupressure, reflexology, walkways, cottages for short stay, canteen with vegetarian health foods, Yoga & Pyramid Meditation Hall, Spiritual Library with number of health and spiritual book and magazines, Audio-visual and recreation facilities for the benefit of residents. Naturopathy believes in the presence of all healing powers within the body and aids human systems to remove toxins, root cause of the disease. Yoga, by the four different paths promotes Spiritual, Physical and Mental Health and calms the mind and thus helps in managements of Stress related ailments associated with modern hi-tech era.
In addition Nature Park with Accu-Pebbels walk track with serene herbal garden (225 acres) (aonla), simple cottages with solar water heaters for comfortable stay have been established.
Natural and yogic life style is need of the every one, either person who got disease or who is healthy want to achieve a optimum health
At Arogyadham you will get advice of rightdiet , lifestyle, naturopathy treatments , yoga therapy, panchkarma therapy and Ayurvedic medicine to archive a robust health all the way of your life.
Treatments at Arogyadham :
Treatments at Arogyadham aid the physical, spiritual, and psychological health of a patient.
· Cleansing and Rejuvenating Naturopathy and Ayurvedic therapies
- Oil Therapies
- Water Therapies
- Heat Therapies
- Mud Tharapies
- Herbal Ayurvedic Medicines
- Panchkarma and related therapies
- Yoga therapy
- Diet Therapy
The word yog is derived from the Sankrit word ‘yuj’ which means ‘to unite or integrate’. In the classical Astanga yoga system, the ultimate goal of yoga practice is to achieve the state of samadhi and abide in that state as pure awareness.
Studies have shown following benefits of Yoga in health:
Improves flexibility of the body
Builds muscle strength
Improves bone health
Increases blood flow
Drains lymphs and boosts immunity
Reduces blood pressure
Regulates hormonal System
Lowers blood sugar
Maintains nervous system and thus other systems
2. Naturopathy Therapies:
It is hydro-therapeutic measure where person is made to sit in a hip bath tub and water is filled up to the navel region. Hip Bath2Other body parts are kept dry. Feet should to be rested on a foot rest. Specially designed tub is used for hip bath. It is mainly administered for improvement of digestion, excretion, and It is beneficial in gynaecological and urinary problems. Various temperatures of water like very cold, cold, neutral, warm, hot and very hot are used depending upon the clinical condition.
Uses : Useful in Indigestion, Gas Formation, Hyper-acidity, Constipation, Piles, Menstrual Disorders, Obesity and Diabetes.
A gentle massage of fine water columns through spray on the spinal cord and its nearby parts is called spinal Spinal Sprayspray. A specially designed tub is used for this treatment. This serves a great measure in influencing the central nervous system.
Uses : Insomnia, Hypertension, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and Migraine etc.
This is a hydro-therapeutic measure where an individual is made to lie down in a specially designed longitudinalSpinal Bath2 equipment such that only the back is immersed in water of desired temperature. Spinal bath is useful in hypertension, insomnia, and musculoskeletal diseases.
Uses: Improves blood circulation to the spine, activates the nervous system, relieves congestion over the spinal nerve, and provides total relaxation. Good in hypertension, headache and backache.
Immersion bath is administered by immersing the entire body other than head in a full size tub filled with water of Immersion Bathdesired temperature depending upon the condition of a health-seeker. It creates an appetite, accelerates the circulation and arouses the nervous system.
Uses: Sleeplessness, Anxiety, Nervous debility, Joint pain, Depression, Parkinsonism, Hypertension, Migraine and certain skin diseases.
Hot and Cold compression :
Alternate applications of hot and cold compresses causes contraction and dilation of blood vessels Hot Fomentationand Fomentationhelps relieve congestion and toxins from the tissues. This treatment is given for relieving acute pain in various parts of the body.
Uses: Asthma and muscular pain.
Steam Bath :
Steam bath is specially designed wooden or fiber chamber. Patient sits inside the chamber and steam is Steam Bathcirculated. Sweating initiated by steam bath helps in elimination of toxins from the body.
Precautions: Drink a glass of water, keep a cold wet towel over the head,
Duration: 10 to 15 minutes.
Uses: Excellent for detoxification, skin diseases, Arthritis, Obesity, Diabetes etc.
The process of giving hot fomentation using steam with or without herbs to a specific part of the body is called local Local Steamsteam.
Uses: acute and chronic inflammations and pains. It is useful in Arthritis, Frozen shoulder, General Pains, Cold, Cough and sinusitis.
An enema is the procedure of introducing liquids into the rectum and colon via the anus. Simple water enema Enema2is used for cleansing the bowel. Luke warm water, saline water (0. 9%) is used for cleansing impacted faecal matter. Routinely enema is given for all new patients for one to three days. There after depending upon requirement alternate day or twice a week enema is given. Neem decoction is also used in certain clinical conditions.
Uses: It helps to remove faecal matter and toxins from the colon. It is useful in constipation, indigestion, acidity and digestive disorders .
Packs made of unpolluted and chemical free mud are indirectly applied over eyes and lower abdomen through packs. Mud Packs
Uses : Relieves congestion in the eyes and improve digestion. It absorbs excessive heat from the treated part as it retains coolness for longer time.
3. Ayurvedic Massage:
1. Rice Herbal Bundle Massage
Pindswed/ Rice Herbal Bundle Massage Procedure
The person is made to lie on the massage table, ayurvedic Abhyanga (massage) is performed for a few minutes with medicated oil followed with Navara Kizhi, where the bolus which is prepared with the medicated Navara herbs is dipped in the Medicated milk and sudation is given to the entire body or locally as per the condition of the patient followed by Fomentation/sudation every day.
Duration of The Treatment
60 to 90 min for 7 to 14 or 21 days to get good results
Benefits of Rice Bundle Massage:
- Gives strength to the muscles
- Activate peripheral nervous system
- Improves skin texture and circulation
- Induces good sleep and reduces the stress.
- It promotes the peripheral vascular circulation
- Stimulates the nerve endings in the periphery
- Restores vitality and enthusiasm
- Pseudo muscular hypertrophy
- Multiple sclerosis
- Cervical and lumbar spondylitis
- Under Weight
- Muscular disorders
- Neurological disorders
- Diabetic neuropathy
- Ankylosing spondylitis
- Motor neuron disease (MND
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- High Blood pressure
- High cholesterol
2. Oil Bath Massage (Pizhichil massage)
Piahichil is one of the most special ayurvedic massages for rejuvenating the whole body healing holistically. In this massage selected medicated medicated oil according to the condition of the individual is applied on the head and the entire body is covered with medicated oil in this treatment the patient lies on the massage table, Patient lying 1 stOn Pron, Supine, side line and seating position.
This treatment is highly rejuvenating treatment that enhances muscular tone and re-tunes the entire nervous system in to the normal state. This massage improves skin complexion, delays aging, promotes optimum health, increases immunity and prolongs life span, reduce a tension form muscle and joints and also increase a range of movement of Joints. Buy repeating of this treatment with synchronise movement cell releases a toxin on cellular level.
This treatment glow skin, increases blood circulation, improves energy levels and reduced tensions.
60 to 90 Minute for 7 Days, 14 days or 21 days to get good result
Ayurvedic Pizhichil Treatment benefits
- The therapy is soothing and relaxing
· Pizhichil helps preserve and promote optimum health
- This therapy is very rejuvenating, and
- It alleviates burning sensation in the body
- Pizhichil relieves body pain and muscle spasms
- This improves skin complexion
- It has anti aging properties
- This improves blood circulation
- Useful in diabetes
- High Blood pressure
- Increases immunity and prolongs lifespan
- It promotes development of muscles
- Rheumatic diseases
· Arthritis( Rheumatoid Arthritis & Gouty arthritis)
- Parkinson’s disease
- Nervous weakness
· In Ayurveda, the body is not believed as an individual object for healing; to be more precise, therapies are developed after considering the entire mind-body-soul balance.Ayurvedic treatments simply don’t target a specific ailment, rather they seek to eliminate the root cause and bring balance to the individual as a whole. Thus, these therapies encompass a blend of massages, oil treatments, herbal treatments and dietary changes.
· Full body ayurvedic massage with herbal oil (selected according to body type) which moves energy in to body while removing the toxin in to alimentary canal and also performed with an acute awareness of the marma and chakra. This ayurvedic massage is beneficial for the nervous and endocrine system, enhance the blood and lymphatic circulation, improve the muscle tone and reduced the free radical activity in the body.
Different types of Ayurvedic oil is prescribed for different types of ailments,
- The five main Karmas to cleanse the complete body are
- Vamanam (therapeutic emesis ) - induced vomiting helps clear the upper gastro till the duodenum (end of stomach) and part of the respiratory tract.
- Virechanam (purgation ) - induced purgation clears the lower gastro from the duodenum (end of stomach) till the exit.
- Anuvasana : it is enema using medicated oil , Oil enema helps lubricate the rectal area and large intestine , take out all the lipid soluble waste out through the anus. Also Pacifies vata dosha
- Astapana Vasti (Therapeutic Decoction Enema) - decoction enema cleanses the area from the transverse colon till the anus.
- Nasyam - nasal instillation of medicated substances helps clear the respiratory tract and para-nasal sinuses.
4. Ayurvedic medicine:
Ayurvedic treatment combines products mainly derived from plants, but also include metal, and mineral, diet, exercise, and lifestyle.
We are specialized to treatment of many health issues below
Joint Pain Disorders : Arthritis, Rheumatoid arthritis, Gout and Osteoarthritis
Digestive Disorder : Gas, Bloating, IBS (Irritable Bowel syndrome), Constipation, Ulcerative Colitis & Piles & Hemorrhoids
Stress, Anxiety & Depression
Gynecological Related Problem : Menstruations Disorders, Menopause Syndrome, hot Flushes, Mood swing etc
Neurological Disorder : Parkinson’s, Multiple sclerosis etc
Insomnia and Memory loss
Kidney and gall bladder stone
Skin Diseases: Psoriasis, Eczema Acne, Dermatitis & Vitiligo
Metabolic Disorder : Diabetes and Obesity
Respiratory disorder : Asthma, Bronchitis
Sinus and recurrent cold flu &Cough
Chronic fatigue Syndrome (CFS)
Ear Diseases: Tinnitus
Facilities for Out-patient
- Package Treatment of 5 days, 7 days,1 0 days, 15 days is provided to daily basis Natural therapies including Panchkarma Packages. Patients are made experience to different treatments in these packages.
- General Yoga class, Special Yogic Techniques (for particular ailment) is provided.
- Pebbles track for bare-foot walking.
- Nature park for Birds watching and observing Nature’s beauty with 220 acres of Herbal Garden.
- Spiritual Library facility with number of Spiritual, Health, Yoga and Naturopathy Books, Magazines are available, Video and Audio CDs of Yoga, Pranayama, Meditation, Life style management, Stress Management, and Art of Living etc.are available
- Acupressure, , Diet therapy, Mud therapy, Shatkarmas are provided
Facilities availed for In- Patients
Ø 10 cottages with 2 beds each cottage (20 bedded hospital)
Ø Each cottage has porch and 2 rooms with attached toilet (Western type) Bath with shower. Hot water facility in bathroom. Cooler and chair, table is provided in all room.
Ø Yoga class (morning and evening with special techniques)
Ø Pyramid Meditation Hall
Ø Pebbles track for bare-foot walking
Ø Nature park for Birds watching and observing Nature’s beauty with 220 acres of Herbal Garden with Walk ways.
Ø Fine lawn in front of Cottages.
Ø Library facility with number of Spiritual, Health, Yoga and Naturopathy Books, Magazines are available. Audio Visual facility with Video and Audio CDs of Yoga, Pranayama, Meditation, Life style management, Stress Management, and Art of Living etc.
Ø Separate kitchen and dinning
Ø Male and female treatment section: All Naturopathy Therapies, All Ayurvedic therapies
Daily Routine at Arogyadham
5.30 AM: Wake up
6.00 – 7.00 AM: Yoga Practice & Meditation
7.00 – 8.00 AM: Morning Walk & Gardening, Herbal Tea
8.30 - 9.30 AM: Breakfast
9.30 – 12 Noon: Nature Cure Treatment
12.00 -1.00 PM: Lunch
1.00 – 3.00 PM: Rest/ Silence
3.00 – 4.00 PM: Nature Cure Treatment / Self study
4.00 – 4.30 PM: Juice
5.00 – 5.30 PM: Library
5.30 – 6.30 PM: Evening Walk
6.30 – 7. 30 PM: Prayer/Yoga/ Pranayam /Meditation
7.30 – 8.30 PM: Dinner
8.30 – 9.00 PM: Shatpavli (Mild Walk around lawn)/Self Study / Practice
After 9.00 PM: Rest/Silence
The Code of Discipline at Arogyadham
1. For the health and comfort of all no intoxicants should be brought to the site. Tea / Coffee, Alcohol, Smoking, Pan Masala, Zarda chewing tobacco, and taking snuff and Non vegetarian food are strictly prohibited
2. Diet an intetgral and very important part of the treatment at the Institute, will be totally different, unlike food you are used to. Delegates are therefore kindly requested to make do with the simple vegetarian meals provided. The course management endeavours to prepare a balanced, wholesome menu suitable for meditation.
3. Those taking medicines or drugs on a doctor's prescription may continue but should inform the Physician.
4. Clothing: Dress should be simple, modest, and comfortable.
AROGYADHAM PATIENT DIET
7:00 to 7:30 AM
Herbal Juice (Amla/Bael/Durva/Neem/Aloe Vera etc.)
8:00 to 9:00 AM
Fruits as Breakfast
(Apple, Papaya, Pomegranate)
11:30 to 12:30 PM
Full Lunch (Boiled / Steamed diet)
Red Rice limited
Boiled Veg. 1-2 Bowl
Dal one Bowl
7:00 to 8:00 PM
Dinner (Daliya or Mungkhichadi, Moonga dal dosa etc)
Note : If the patient and accompanying person is going to demand more food other than the diet chart shown above, they will have to pay extra money accordingly.
[Breakfast – Poha / Upama / Idali / etc. with reasonable charges
[Dinner – Roti / Sabji / Salad / etc.] with reasonable charges
How to reach Sevagram?
Sevagram is about 7 KM away from Wardha railway station and 80 KM from Nagpur
Sevagram railway station is well connected to four corners of India.
Dr. Anuradha Khandekar (Ayurveda Doctor)
MO & Joint coordinator,
Dr. Anuradha Khandekar is dedicated toward this science and completed her undergraduate and postgraduate degree in Ayurveda. She has completed a Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine and Surgery from University of Kolhapur and Post Graduate degree from the reputed Pune University. She is specialized in treatment of chronic illness and Panchakarma Treatment.
Dr. Sujata Deshmukh
Yoga and Naturopathy doctor
Dr. Sujata Deshmukh have done DNYS, NDDY from Amravati, M.A. Yogshastra, MD i.e. Masters degree in Yoga & Naturopathy from Nagpur University. She also has done M.A. Lit. & M. A. Sociology.
Dr. Ashish Gujar
Yoga Teacher & Naturopathy Doctor
Dr. Ashish Gujar has done AVV, DYN, DNYS, MA Yogshastra from Nagpur University.