The Department of Anatomy is one of the Basic Science departments where teaching is the main activity. Anatomy and Genetics are taught to students of I MBBS, I and II BSc Nursing and MD (Anatomy) courses of MUHS Nashik. The Department has a well-established cytogenetics laboratory with an expert geneticist and trained technical staff for routine cytogenetic investigations (like karyotyping) and genetic counselling. Recently, a molecular genetics laboratory has been established for research purposes. The staff routinely performs embalming of the dead bodies for transportation purpose. Embalming is also done for preservation of donated bodies for the purpose of dissection and teaching.
The Department has utilised the following teaching-learning methods to impart the knowledge of Anatomy and to make learning more effective, interactive and practical:
- Small group teaching: to introduce interactive learning in osteology, gross anatomy, embryology and histology. Theory to practical/ demonstration ratio is 1:3
- Reciprocal peer teaching: Students volunteer as group leaders and a topic which has previously been discussed with corresponding teachers is briefed before table-mates in the dissection hall. Teachers supervise the activity on each table and provide guidelines wherever needed.
- Fortnightly review of topics: Topics taught during the previous fortnight are discussed with students. This helps the faculty in identifying and helping slow learners. Special sessions are then held for slow learners.
- Live histology demonstration with trinocular microscope, digital camera and television monitor: to provide better understanding of the microscopic details of tissues at different magnifications. In addition, histological transparencies, 3D models and charts are also used.
- Computer aided learning: For gross anatomy and embryology, educational CDs are available.
- Students from other colleges have been given training in the Cytogenetics lab.
The molecular genetics and research labs provide the basic infrastructure for carrying out research in the field of genetics, histochemistry, histomorphometry, anthropometry and dermatoglyphics. The department is approved for PhD and has two approved PhD guides in Anatomy and Genetics in addition to 5 PG guides. Incorporation of some newer equipment such as CO2 incubator, automatic tissue processor, an imported microtome with disposable blade, CCTV, microscope with digital camera for photomicrography, Magnavision and cryostat microtome has boosted the research potential of the department.